Dear Steve,

Long time no see! I’ve been busy, sorry. First off all, I want to congratulate you on the great show today. Wow, that iPad is truly one of those things everyone is going to want to have, like your previous successes with the iPod and iPhone. I take my hat off for that! And wow, what a lead up to the show. Probably the first hype of 2010. And do you guys know how to keep a secret and then give a great show unveiling it.

That being said, I felt as an avid Apple products user as well as your friend, (you know I own a total of 3 Macbooks, a plethora of Airports and have converted nearly my entire family to buy one of those nice machines of yours) (actually it was Grant who got me into buying one) it’s my duty to inform you that I think something went wrong during your presentation. When you were showing the web capabilities of the iPad, something was missing in it’s browser (see screen-shot above). As your keynote and product presentations are normally flawless (ah, well, maybe not always), I think you might have missed this one.

You touted the iPad’s (great product name, btw) web capabilities as being amazing, perfect, you know, the regular Apple thing. But during the presentation I couldn’t help but notice that little “missing plugin” logo we all know from the iPhone. Now, I was thinking that this might have been one of those very exotic plugins of back in the day, like Director or Realplayer. But, as it turned out, the missing plugin was the Flash Player.

As you’ve started the introduction to the iPad with a reference to Netbooks, and we can safely say that most netbooks support Flash, I think we are both safe to assume that to be on par with those netbooks, the minimum you should have is a fully featured browser?
I mean, this is not some kind of small screen device with limited capabilities in terms of performance and graphics. It’s a fully featured machine ? Be it with that amazing iPhone touch interface. And be it in a slightly new package intended for true casual and business use. (Honestly, you kind of confused me, games and reading books ? I thought the gaming generation didn’t read and vice-versa, ah we’ll talk about that after you write me back on this letter).

Anyway, I think it must have been a demonstration error, because it seemed like the iPad didn’t support Flash?

Mythhackers.

Ok, now, who am I kidding. I know you’re a perfectionist. And you’re a man of subtle remarks too. Between you and me, you can admit it. We both know that little missing plugin logo wasn’t an accident. I think we both know why you did it. It must have been your kind of humor, getting back at that little prank  Kevin and Johnny of Adobe pulled on you at Adobe MAX. (see picture above too). You have to admit, that was funny. Man, we all laughed about that one. But hey, I always think that if they’re teasing you, they must want your attention. All in all, they didn’t mean any harm.

(I do agree with you that they should’ve spent some more cash on the explosion effect in the video, being the maker of some of the most premiere video effect software out there, but hey, it was a good prank video, executed very well).

Now, given some of the easter eggs in Mac OS X, which essentially is your baby, through that other thing you did, with that next-cube thing you were so enthousiastic about back in the day, I take it you have a fair amount of subtle humor in you. It always reflects in your letters and I always have to laugh when I think about how you made that joke about a mouse only needing one button. But, as always, there’s a time for fun and a time for seriousness. And you seriously can’t mean that the full featured web browser doesn’t support the biggest plugin out there?

If you do mean it, I can understand why. I’ve never really bought that, “Flash is too slow for the iPhone” story you told everyone at that party. I also know for a fact that RIM, Nokia, Samsung, NVidia and all those guys also didn’t believe it.

And yeah, I know that little stunt Adobe pulled with compiling directly from Flash to iPhone isn’t the same as running it in the browser, but hey, it is the output of Flash running on an iPhone. And surely there’s a lot of content which can now be readily available in the App store. And if that puny little ARM processor in an iPhone can, then surely that incredible piece of custom silicon you so proudly called the Apple A4 can. (it’s ARM too, right?).

Your nightmare ?

Ahh, going off track, I was saying that I understood why you would not want Flash. I know having rich, web enabled apps which don’t go through the App store can be a scary thought, food for nightmares. I know you’ve had a thing for nightmares, especially after Monster’s inc. But Steve, I have to tell you. A device which is intended for casual and easy use with all the slickness Apple always brings, but doesn’t support so much web content? Come on, what will the people think? Those netbooks you called slow and PC-ish, can run Flash, but Apple’s state of the art technology can’t?

Yeah, I know it’s hard to have that piece of proprietary software running so much content essentially being a separate platform, while having no control over it. But that’s why Kevin and Johhny where throwing those jokes at you. They want to help you, really. And again between you and me, isn’t it true that you’re always selling computers when those guys at Adobe come up with a new version of their creativity software?

I would like to also come with a more serious note, as your friend, I know I can remind you of this one. Do you remember that when I was still using a PC, we were always talking sh*t about those guys at Microsoft for dominating the market? About how they pulled that monopoly thing on Netscape with that “lovely” (I still remember the word you had for it) browser we all still despise, Internet Explorer. And what they did to Real by bundling that Mediaplayer? Well, as it turns out, they kind of ran into some anti-trust issues with the European Union. I hear it was quite costly for Bill. While I agree the iPhone was a completely different thing, you can’t bring out a computer and expect everyone to think it’s just a big iPhone and then pull all that stuff off that our friend at Microsoft once did, right?

Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re going to say. Flash is proprietary too and there should be an open alternative to it. But honestly, in terms of open initiatives competing with it, it seems those HTML5 guys are still not ready for it, and although having H.264 video support native to the browser is nice, it hardly replaces what Flash can do right now. Not to mention all that content already being offered by Flash, people can’t see on the magnificent iPad. If pure HTML5 content is even 1% of that, we both know that would be a lot. I do feel you should be open to any plugin, honestly, so the guys at MS/Silverlight and Unity3D, for instance, also get a shot. All in all, it’s your product’s users who are going to suffer for it otherwise. Now, as I’ve made my living building Flash apps, of course I am biased, but doesn’t every developer deserve a fair shot?

You're the man!

You were always this idealist, but this thing is making you look like you are just plain greedy, at the cost of your end users, not being able to access all web content. Give me back the idealist Steve, I love that guy! (I’ve included an old picture of you to remind you of that man).

Now, you know I do admire that you’re not like all those others and you’re doing things your way (and it seems to work), I think you’re going down the wrong path on this one, or this might have been just an error. If it was, just fix it before release, and we’ll keep it between you and me.

Sincerest Regards, your friend,
Ralph.

(quick note, can you make Johnathan stop saying the word Magical, every time he’s talking about one of the products he designs ? Frankly, it’s a bit annoying. And he’s not designing unicorns or leprechauns.)

(quick note 2 : if you do manage to talk to Kevin or Shantanu at the next party, ask them if their engineering people can talk to your engineering people about that video hardware support and performance issues, I think it would make many of our friends happy).

This entry was posted in Flash, News, Random Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Dear Steve,

1. Oscar says:

Nice post! Not that it’ll work since Apple is greedy and want to have the same impact as a company like Google does. Too bad, Google is Free and Apple doesn’t know the words ‘for free’. They are only concerned about themselves. Maybe it’s different when I have one in my hands (as I’m happy about my iPhone) but for now it’s just rubbish in a shell which is way too large for its screen. Not supporting Flash is just political. Afraid of free games while you make such a nice profit with the iTunes (a program which really suck on PC) store. Just like every old narrow minded record company, Apple is just the same. Lucky for them they have a bunch of religious Apple minded people out there who love to tell evertone Apple is the best. Well as owner of a Powerbook G4, iPod Touch, iPhone, MacMini and working behing a damn Apple for over 10 years I think Apple is nothing more then stupid arrogance. I must say, it’s great people believe all lies from Steve throughout the years.. that’s marketing..well, more religion.

2. Michael says:

Great post!
    Would love to see a reply from your old friend Steve! ;-)

3. Pingback: Companies into the 2.0 storm! Adobe 1 – Apple 0

4. Devin says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. While I am also bias (Flash developer), but today someone that is not a Flash developer came up to me and said, “I heard the iPad doesn’t support Flash, why is that when a netbook will.”
    If that is Apple’s average consumer they will have problems. Most people bought the excuse that iPhone wasn’t powerful enough for Flash, or that it drained the battery. But on a device like the iPad that excuse will no longer fly.

5. Jason Terhorst says:

You need to read this, then: http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash
    Gruber knows what he’s talking about.

Apple doesn’t need or want Flash on this thing, and they didn’t need or want it on the iPhone, either. (The sales figures on iPhone attest to the fact that Flash isn’t needed to contribute to success whatsoever. They’re killing all of the competitors you note above who *do* have Flash.)

Adobe treated Apple like crap on Mac OS X, so Apple’s not about to help them out here.
    You’d best learn HTML5 and jQuery because, while they’re not the top dog yet, they soon will be. Your platform of choice isn’t invited to parties anymore, because it got drunk at the last one and threw up all over the floor. Flash will be dead before you know it.

• UnitZeroOne says:

Gruber only partly knows what he’s talking about. If you’re going to be informed and use other people’s statements for that, read every side of the story. For instance, John Nack’s response. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/

Apple didn’t need Flash on the iPhone, as for most of it’s content, it relied on the appstore. And successfully so. But the iPad is not a phone and can be used to do more then just a quick browse for a restaurant. I think you need to assess it per platform.

I think if you’re going to say x treated y crap for z, then you need to come up with the full story, and you’ll see it’s deeper then that. Honestly, I don’t think I’m entitled to comment on it, as there’s always a story behind the story. If steve replies, I’ll ask him next time I see him.
      As HTML5 is currently quite a bit behind, I don’t think I do need to learn a lot, as Flash has already gone through that phase and I was part of that. Now I know what other people where talking about when they looked at Flash and said : “ow, wow, so now you can do that, well, we’ve been able to do that for quite some time”. And the cycle repeats. In that sense, it’s regression not progression.

My platform of choice indeed has some good parties. Can’t remember that it was about being drunk (steve has a great story on me being drunk, you should ask him about it. Hilarious. No idea where that cop came, but in the end he just let both of us go). Honestly, the Flash community is one driven by technology AND design. If you look around you’ll see that that particular combination of design AND technology is unique, even in our industry. Not to mention amongst the people who are still fiddling to get site x looking the same in all browsers, instead of easily creating beautiful experiences which are viewable across the board of devices. Enjoy your rant, maybe you’re right. Maybe you’re not. Time will tell.

6. Steve says:

Flash is not a web standard, and some devices may choose not to support it. You knew that going in as a developer, so why wine about it know?

It’s the only mainstream web technology that is managed by only one company. Why would Adobe have that kind of power over the internet, which is (and should be) based of open, international standards.

• UnitZeroOne says:

“Why would Adobe have that kind of power over the internet, which is (and should be) based of open, international standards.”
      Just replace Adobe with Apple in that sentence, and you’ll see what I mean.

7. Steve says:

“And having one App store decide what content gets through and what isn’t is open ? ”

You are comparing web technologies and iPhone apps (which are essentially desktop apps). Apple has a competitive right to have app store, and filter the apps, and customers can decide to buy the product or not.

On the web technologies, apple has chosen to support (and pioneer) open web standards. You can’t force them to support a proprietary format. If you don’t like their decision you can chose to buy another product (or develop on another platform).

8. ron says:

i make my living developing flash stuff plus i don’t own an iphone. just so you know where i stand. but still…

“I also know for a fact that RIM, Nokia, Samsung, NVidia and all those guys also didn’t believe it.”

have you USED flash on any of these devices? it’s horrible and slow. and slow. and sucks the battery flat in no time. what good is flash at 5 fps? (anything worth doing at 5 fps can also be done in static html.)

“And yeah, I know that little stunt Adobe pulled with compiling directly from Flash to iPhone isn’t the same as running it in the browser, but hey, it is the output of Flash running on an iPhone.”

yeah, but not the same. authoring in flash is not the question here, it is the bad, bad RUNTIME. actually it is the runtime running somewhat sandboxed and safe inside a browser. on a device with limited capacity.

plus all the political stuff that gruber talked about. imho he’s right on the money with that.

9. ron says:

apple doesn’t allow uncompiled code for two reasons: performance and control. they want to know and control what code runs on the iphone because of safety and because of revenue.

they made that clear from the outset.

the ONLY exception is javascript running inside safari. as gruber points out apple controls the runtime here so they can optimize for performance at will. and they can sandbox it as much as they want for security. (and javascript running inside safari won’t hurt their revenue that much.)
    but still, if they were really concerned about revenue they wouldn’t promote web-apps that much.

10. oos says:

Yeah… cause running flash-stuff in 5 fps would be “teh shit”.

Want flash? Buy a netbook. Same battery-life, half the price. Plus a proper keyboard.

You don´t HAVE to buy every single piece of apple-hw that comes out. Choice of the consumer-whore you know… or maybe not…

11. jw says:

Apple is making good money with ‘flash’ like games/apps through their I-store. The moment the Iphone or/and Ipad is able to play flash games/apps via websites they will loose a lot of money. It’s plain marketing.

12. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

13. Pingback: 3 Interesting Reads: Namespaces, Flash and a letter to Steve… « Sambrick's Blog

14. wonderwhy-er says:

Well two years ago I bought iPhone. At a time there were no real alternative so I almost not regret my decision then. Now there is no point in buying iPad as there are(and soon will be more) alternatives that run Android/Chrome/Linux/Windows and do not include “Apple special features” like no multitask, no Flash, no real control over device (iTunes/AppStore reign over what/how you mostly add to device), MacOS only development (tough this finally comes to an end with Unity/Flash adding abilities of creating native iPhone apps).
    I guess iPad still will be successful but I have no more interest in Apple phones or other devices. I was pretty neutral towards Apple products before but after owning iPhone they showed me that they can do impressive hardware, not so bad software, but also they showed that they can take from device something I never realized was there. Freedom of using it the way I see fit…

15. nwebb says:

I own shares in Apple, plus I have an iPhone, an iPod, a MBP and I develop Flex & AIR apps (just so you know where I stand)

I’m really not sure Apple supporters should use the word ‘openness’ in any of their arguments though. Feel free to use ‘control’ – hey I’m not knocking what they do, it’s more than doubled my share price (ftw as the cool kids say)).

But come on … “you are comparing web technologies and iPhone apps” … and you are trying desperately to justify what Apple do. Why do you feel the need to do that?

Apple love to control their environment because ultimately (a) they make more money and (b) they can achieve more stability.

Apple are not doing this because they see Adobe and proprietary formats as bad (look at all the proprietary stuff Apple develop) – grow up. Isn’t .mov a close proprietary format? (sorry that didn’t take off as the standard for web video but was that for lack of trying? When I rip music to iTunes, does it rip to mp3 by default so I can play it in any player? And how easy is it to get the music you bought back off an iPod (note: easy with 3rd party apps … maybe for someone like me, but kind of a lock in to those less tech savvy). Do APple expect me to pay for an MP3 and then pay again to make it in to an iPhone ringtone – yes they do. They are masters of the lock-in!

Apple made excuses for why Flash wasn’t on the iPhone (I think it’s simply because it would break the app-store revenue model, but that’s only conjecture on my part), and we can see that those excuses were so obviously not true, but whether you love or hate Flash, isn’t it questionable that they dictate what your web experience should be? Why not put Flash on there, disable it by default and let the user decide? It’s your device bought with your money so shouldn’t it at least be your decision?

I’m all for open standards, but lets face it, it we waited for HTML5, then even now, the vast majority of web users would STILL be waiting to do things that Flash has been facilitating for over 10 years. I would be saying “wouldn’t it be nice if I could watch TV programs over the web”, and the likes of YouTube would be a mere pipe dream. HTML5 isn’t there yet and it isn’t mainstream.

I’m not fighting the good fight for Flash/Adobe, but nor do I want Apple restricting near ubiquitous technologies, and taking my rights away from me (giving money to them for the privilege).

If Flash is bad, and Apple are all about openness, then surely Apple would let the free market decide the fate of Flash, not dictate it.

16. Bart says:

I think the discussion should not be about who did some bad things to who and the open standards thing. The comments are forgetting the normal user here.

If I would be a non-technical user and buy a device with “the best browsing experience” I would be very disappointed that all the webbased games and videos I used to play and watch are not working…… That’s where Flash on iPad is about, the comfort of normal users not for developers or evangelists of some technology.

17. Pedroh says:

Ralph,

Don’t get hung up on Flash. It’s all so much bigger than that.

Why not accept the fact that when you’re cutting edge and creating ground breaking technology such as iPhone and iPad you reserve the right to do the hell what you want and once you do it well enough the non-techie consumer will follow like lambs to the slaughter. Most people want to consume without effort as opposed to create/invent with effort. IPhone and iPad are consumption devices and are there to entertain the masses and feed them content. That content has a value and shareprice loves that.

With the iPhone and iPad it is a commercial proposition ($50billion and growing), a game changing/money making innovation where the consumer is trapped to proprietary software/hardware and their purchases are non-transferable (the days of lending a book to a friend or visiting a 2nd hand book store are numbered once you consume via such a device. What happens to Libraries ? will we be able to rent books ?). How and ever, consumers are willing captives and are walking in with their eyes open, you cannot stem the tide.

On the plus side, the iPad could reinvent the media, eliminate the inane noise from twitter and bloging and replace it with curated content from an editor and written by literate and knowledgeable journalists who get paid for what they write (amazing concept).

As for Flash and the threat to the App store well…

I’ve already seen some functional “browser based” iPhone Apps (look and feel) written in Javascript which bypass the AppStore so it’s maybe only a matter of time before the browser disappears from Apple recreational products altogether (no more safari). Don’t sweat it, move on.

You must plan for the future and “Garlic bread”, it’s the future.

…and why will Adobe not open up Flash and remove any objections that Apple may have to it ?

Well, why bother, it’s only a matter of time before the browser disappears and light widgets replace it and all our content comes form the cloud. That was the idea behind Air right ? so even Adobe believe in the strategy that’s beating them.

YouTube and Vimeo are also looking to dump Flash so if Apple, Google and Microsoft are looking to dump your best friend then the writing is on the wall and the game is up.

Maybe Ralph you need to learn a new language or become a full time journalist/activist. Look to the future state where consumers want to escape the trap they are currently placing themselves in. Build an Ark.

This is your tipping point Mr. Hauwert.

18. nwebb says:

I can’t speak for Ralph (yet I expect many are taking his words too literally – I love the humour in this post) but certainly for me this isn’t about being a Flash developer (ActionScript is very similar to JavaScript, so no big effort required to swap over). It’s about freedom & choice for the general user. Most people couldn’t care less what platform is used for an app – they only care about the end product.

The fact is that at the moment, denying Flash means denying an awful lot of content. I rarely watch YouTube or play games myself, but I do use quite a few desktop & web apps and watch a fair few tutorial videos on the web (99% are currently delivered in Flash – I don’t care so much if Flash isn’t the main delivery medium as long as the thing that replaces it is equally good, but I don’t want to go back to the days where sites were forced to provide multiple formats), and what about those people who use some of the excellent Flex or AIR tools available as part of their regular web experience – all of which run on the Flash platform. Things like:
    lovelycharts.com/
    agileagenda.com/
    hobnox.com/index.1056.en.html
    etc etc etc

Many providers will be/feel forced to port perfectly solid working apps over to an Apple-approved format, and who will end up soaking up the cost of this? The consumer I’m sure.

Open standards do not (yet) seem capable of delivering many of those more complex applications (at least to the same standard), and until that happens, it seems foolish to exclude a technology that already allows it.

Apple are saying “no you can’t freely choose your desktop Twitter client from all the available options … you have to use one that we approve in to the app store” … and many will not be free of course.

That to me is wrong.

Of course it won’t change things. I’m certainly not hanging around for Flash on these devices, nor am I looking at moving away from the Flash platform anytime soon. There are plenty of very large companies scrambling for development of Financial and other applications for internal use, bespoke handheld stuff – all written in Flex & AIR. Rates for Flex developers are high and rising. Hey, and if it all goes wrong, it’s good to know that the pay is even higher for niche markets :D

19. ron says:

hahahahaaa!! firefox mobile disabled flash support due to “performance”.

the money quote: “We’ve decided to disable plugin (not to be confused with add-ons, which are supported) support for this release. The Adobe Flash plugin used on many sites degraded the performance of the browser to the point where it didn’t meet our standards.”

20. Extremely well written–accurate and quite entertaining too!

@Ron: Did you read the rest of that article you’re referencing?
    “We are working on an add-on that will allow the user to have control of which sites to enable plugins for, as some sites, like YouTube, do work quite well.”

Flash runs everything from simple video, to very rich 3d FPS games, and everything in between. Of course there is some content that would make any cell phone beg for mercy. I could write non “plugin dependent” browser code that could cause this as well. That doesn’t mean we should ban code altogether as a result.

What kind of Flash content do you think users of cell phone web browsers are after? Video. And according to the same article you quoted, “some sites, like YouTube, do work quite well.”

21. Oh, and Hitler pretty much summed up the iPad’s shortcomings also:

22. stevo says:

Well written article Ralph! You should have used the Sarcasm™ font.

Not supporting Flash on a web browser is a deal-breaker for me.

As avid Mac users, we used to rail against M/S for their monopolistic ways but now Apple is showing they are now using the greed-based business model. Based on their latest profit statement for the quarter they aren’t about to change their ways either.

I guess I’ll wait for a similar product using Android. You know it’s coming.

23. Hans Van den Keybus says:

Great post Serge.

A few years ago i decided to switch from a Windows PC to Apple. I needed a more stable platform, and one that would also make me able to do my own stuff on it. Tweek it as I wanted, and just have the feeling that it was my own computer, instead of just going along with the corporate stuff that Microsoft was to me. But lately with the Appstore management, the Flash / Iphone situation, etc. i’m starting to have the feeling Apple is just becoming the new Microsoft.
    It used to be about doing things the GOOD and the RIGHT way. now it’s all about money and doing thing THEIR way, just like Microsoft always did.

I can only hope another company will come up and take the concurrence with Apple.
    And perhaps Google could be that other company? With their new mobile devices, and who knows one day their own computers and Ipad-like stuff.
    I’ve always had the feeling Google is about quality, usabilty, UX and about the none-corporate stuff; the things i was searching for before and thought i’d found in Apple.

The world of creatives (Adobe’s world) is full of people who want control over what they do, and have room for experiment.
    And i don’t think Apple is the right company for that anymore.
    They’ve smelled the corporate world, and now they’re heading for the “dark side”. To me, this is officially the end of Apple.

24. Who cares about this dumb decision by Apple?

Imo better, and more open systems are waiting to get some attention. (ok, the devices might not look as good, but hey, functionality is also important) Just switch to Android and buy a non Apple tablet instead of the Ipad…trying to convince a stubborn brand is not the job of a customer.

And I admit I’ve never been an Apple fanboy. And I’ve never cared about looks (and never will) unless it comes down to chicks. :D

25. laura says:

How come Ralph doesn’t answer anymore?

26. FlashScope says:

Seems like epic fail, though I like the Hitler video =)

27. Pingback: Lee Brimelow mostra porque o iPad NÃO oferece “the ultimate browsing experience”. | Cabanoblog

28. Pingback: The buzz around iPad | massiveProCreation Blog

29. Pingback: Bashing or Flashing the iPad? | DigitalNeurosurgeon.com

30. Great post, the best one on this topic!

Linked you on my blog-topic “Bashing or Flashing the iPad” at

Pieter

31. Cauê Waneck says:

Ralph,

Nice post. A nice site you should see is http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad . Apple is engaging on some serious matters related to monopolies and customer’s freedoms. I really hope that this trend does not catch on.

32. Dale says:

There seems to be some unwarranted backlash coming from HTML5 supporters. They do realize, don’t they, that many Flash Developers have come from HTML backgrounds? If they get their way, Flash dies, we go back to HTML, they’d better be ready for a hell of a challenge.

33. Pingback: 致 – 乔布斯 | 逐梦驿站

34. Pingback: 苹果为何不在 iPhone、iPad 平台支持 Flash – 【For your have】

35. Pingback: Dear Steve, « Ionel Crisu

36. Pingback: nuthinking blog - Christian Giordano » Blog Archive » Something you should consider before buying an iPad

37. emurmur says:

I can understand Apple’s (Steve’s) decision. By having complete control over the hardware, OS and installed software, Apple (Steve) can ensure the quality of the platform. This is much like a game console licensing model – you have to go through approval before you can be on the platform. This allows the platform owner to control quality and supply of software on the platform so everyone has the possibility to make money. This is the only reason I heard Apple (Steve) give that makes sense.

Clearly, folks that own the iPhone have not missed Flash so much that they would not purchase. Early iPhone purchasers could compare their phones to other phones on the market and clearly see how much better their iPhones where. No phones had Flash (bad on Adobe), so no one could really complain that Apple didn’t have it.

However, the iPad is a different story. I think many folks migrating to the iPad will be doing so to replace laptops. The most compelling application on the iPad is the browser. The iPad’s beautiful screen, magazine-like form factory and natural touch input is fantastic – you really want to use this as your exclusive browser. However, many of the websites that you like so much are crippled on the iPad. This will be very disappointing to iPad owners. No matter Steve’s opinion on the technology, people like and use Flash technology every day. Some even depend on it. Steve is a very brilliant guy, but even he can’t pretend that he know’s what’s best for these folks – they know what they want. Steve isn’t doing what is best for users, he is doing what is best for Apple and it’s immediate ecosystem.

I think Apple believes, or at least hopes, that this will push website developers to adopt HTML5 features to replace Flash content. I have to say, HTML5 just isn’t ready. I tried using it – it’s not good. Performance varies widely across browsers, so much so that you can’t rely on it even in some browsers that claim to support it. The actual api’s differ in detail across browsers as well. IE doesn’t support it in anyway. Safari’s support is excellent, but it is only a small percentage of installed browsers. Go try all the cool demos on the top browsers, including IE, and you will see what I mean. HTML5 not yet a viable alternative for developing content across platforms.

I think Apple knows that and is ok with it. To believe that Flash is inferior to HTML5 is stupid. Steve is definitely NOT stupid. HTML5 is not yet a viable platform, so why would Steve say developers should use it rather than Flash? Because you will quickly learn that you can’t use it instead of Flash if your goal is to create content that can play on multiple platforms. Ultimately, you will come to the inevitable conclusion that you must use ObjectiveC (or C or C++) to develop for iPhone/iPad. This is good for Apple, because it creates developer lock-in. It makes it hard to monetize your content on other platforms. Monitizing other platforms is not something that is good for Apple, so why should they support it? That makes sense; just be honest about it.

I mean, did you read the change to the developer agreement, “Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited”. You can’t use ‘translation’ tools. What the F is C, C++ or ObjectiveC!? Guess what, GCC uses the LLVM to produce native code for the iPhone and iPad. SO DOES ADOBE’S PACKAGER FOR IPHONE. It’s the SAME technology – the same translator!

It’s not about whether Flash is good or bad. It’s about what is good for Apple. Apple certainly has the right to decide what that is. I am not complaining about their decision – it is a good decision for Apple. It’s the bad mouthing Flash that I find very disturbing because it is not true and it can have very negative consequences for 3rd parties. Perhaps Adobe brought this on themselves by making the Mac take a backseat to Windows. Certainly, this doesn’t make it any harder for Apple (Steve) to make the decision to lock-out Flash. It probably makes it more satisfying.

38. vicmara says:

Nah, ARM does not “build” semiconductors… it is fabless
    in other words, an IP core

now, given the overwhelming elasticity of the parties involved, I think a good joke would be a windows mobile edition “platform-built” to a “jailbroken” iPad…

39. mee says:

i’ll hopefully never hav a MAC, but hopefully a Linux with fully compatible software.
    I still find PCs better than MACs, cuz ure WAYYYYYYYY more free to adjust them 4 ure needs.

40. lala says:

41. Santa says:

Apple products are my best friends