Papervision3D 2.0 : Public Alpha Release.

Judging from the amount of mails, IM’s and phone calls, people are excited about PV3D 2.0. Well, so am I! And today I’m happy to announce we’ve put the alpha goods on the Papervision3D SVN. Still lots of things that need to have fixing, optimizing, or just straight out not working yet, but it’s time to share and give up the goods!

I’ll give a quick tutorial on how to setup stuff as soon as I can. After a barrage of code of the last days, which Tim would know all about too, I need some rest. This stuff is not completed or optimized yet, so don’t judge it on those factors just yet. Expect updates alot, so if you are not comfortable with fixing problems yourself, or are in a project which needs to be online tomorrow…don’t do it…it’s an Alpha.

Enjoy…it’s made with alot of blood sweat and tears.

New things I can think of right now :

Viewport3D – Auto sizing, clipping and culling, enables you to render to a texture in the scene.
ASCollada
ShadeMaterials – Only shaded surfaces
Shaders – Shading + Texturing
Frustrum Culling + Frustrum Camera
New Rendering architecture
Swappable renderer architecture – More on that during the coming weeks.
So much more…and more will be coming.

I’ll post more soon.

Get the code using SVN from Google code.

[update]
A small screencast (no narrative, sorry) on how to use it.src
An ugly tech demo showing off the BitmapViewportMaterial, done with an older version
Mr.Doob shows of some skills with 2.0
[/update]

[update2]
The screencast went over the monthly bandwidth limit at screencast.com, relocated to my server, so you can see it again.
[/update2]

Signing off exhausted,
Ralph.

This entry was posted in Papervision3D. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Papervision3D 2.0 : Public Alpha Release.

1. Owen van Dijjk says:

Congrats on getting it out before 12:00 :)

2. Mr.doob says:

I love the screencast :)

3. Chris says:

Thanks so much for posting this! I couldn’t wait to try it out, so I grabbed it from Google code and started playing with it. I got it to work, as a library project in flex ( using the example you posted above), but I had to work around a few things. I’m sure some (or most) of it was unnecessary because of something simple I’m unaware of, but whatever. Here it is anyway:

I couldn’t find these files:

Vertex2D
    FaceInstance3D
    InteractiveBitmapMaterial

As a result of those missing files (and a few other errors I didn’t get a chance to dig too far into), I removed these files from the build:
    org.papervision3d.materials.utils.BitmapMaterialTools
    org.papervision3d.core.culling.CompositeTriangleCuller
    org.papervision3d.objects.special.Sound3D

I made the following changes to the code(some changes were to files that I later removed from the build, but I left those changes in just to show everything I did):
    org.papervision3d.objects.special.Sound3D => add: import org.papervision3d.objects.DisplayObject3D;
    org.papervision3d.materials.special.CompositeMaterial => add: import org.papervision3d.core.material.TriangleMaterial;
    org.papervision3d.materials.special.CompositeMaterial => remove: import org.papervision3d.materials.TriangleMaterial;
    org.papervision3d.view.BasicView => add: import org.papervision3d.core.view.IView;
    org.papervision3d.objects.special.Frustum3D => Number3D is in the core.math package rather than just the core package
    org.papervision3d.objects.primitives => add: import org.papervision3d.core.math.NumberUV;
    org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.MD2 => AnimationFrame is under core.animation.core instead of just animation.core

org.papervision3d.core.components.as3.flash9 => BasicRenderEngine is under papervision3d.render instead of papervision3d.core.render
    org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.DAE => PointLight3D is under papervision3d.lights instead of papervision3D.core.geom.lights

org.papervision3d.objects.special.Sound3D => Number3D is in the core.math package rather than just the core package
    org.papervision3d.objects.special.Sound3D => Matrix3D is in the core.math package rather than just the core package

org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.MD2 => MorphController is under papervision3d.core.animation.controllers instead of papervision3d.animation.controllers
    org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.MD2 => SimpleController is under papervision3d.core.animation.controllers instead of papervision3d.animation.controllers
    org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.MD2 => AnimationEngine is under papervision3d.core.animation.core instead of papervision3d.animation.core

org.papervision3d.objects.parsers.MD2 => add org.papervision3d.core.math.NumberUV;

org.papervision3d.view.BasicView => BasicRenderEngine is under the papervision3d.render package rather than papervision3d.core.render

org.papervision3d.objects.special.Frustrum3D => LineMaterial is under papervision3d.materials.special rather than papervision3d.materials
    org.papervision3d.objects.special.UCS => LineMaterial is under papervision3d.materials.special rather than papervision3d.materials

org.papervision3d.materials.BitmapWireframeMaterial => add altUV:Matrix = null as the last parameter in the drawTriangle function to correnctly implement the interface
    org.papervision3d.materials.special.CompositeMaterial => add altBitmap:BitmapData = null, altUV:Matrix = null as the last two parameters in the drawTriangle function to correnctly implement the interface
    org.papervision3d.materials.special.CompositeMaterial => add flash.display.BitmapData for new parameter in drawTriangle function
    org.papervision3d.materials.special.CompositeMaterial => add flash.geom.Matrix for new parameter in drawTriangle function

There may be something simple I glossed over, but these changes made it work for me. This is some really bad ass stuff here, I can’t wait to see the projects that people will do using the new functionality.

4. Stef says:

Thanks so much ! That’s the release I was looking for. And thanks a lot for all who contributes, you guys have made an amazing job :-)

5. christian says:

Fantastic, thanks a lot Ralph, very appreciated. On FDT3 it is almost perfect, only Mesh3D has an error, how comes that you pass 3 parameters to Math.min/max? :)

6. kay says:

2.0 is absolute amazing!

i’m interested in “New Rendering architecture”. Is it possible tha you explain me the renderpipeline in a few simple steps?!

i had posted my attempt on pv3d list (http://www.nabble.com/Renderpipeline-of-Papervision3D-td14696754.html) , but no answer so far.

thanks a lot