Papervision3D Demos : Cellshading / Toonrendering and more.

It’s been a while since I posted progress on Papervision..
I was busy doing some work on the new Papervision release, and thought it might be nice to share a preview of some of the new materials you haven’t seen yet, or not on another model then the Rhino…
Click on the screenshots, and wait a bit. The horse I use here is a bit heavier then the rhino, in terms of poly’s and model size, so it takes a while to load.

horse with phong
Horse model with phong shading & marble texture

horse zflatshaded
Horse model with zflat shading

horse zflatshaded+texture
Horse model with zflat shading & marble texture (same as phong)

horse zflatshaded+texture
Horse with cellshading, and faked silloutte

The cellshading demo requires some explanation. Normally the surface shading and silloutte rendering would be considered 2 different passes along the geometry. Real silloutte rendering is quite heavy, and currently unimplemented. So for now I faked it with a nice littlle glow filter ;-)
Let me know what you think! Comment!

[edit]
And don’t forget to vote for us, for the people’s choice award at Flash in the Can.

pc_nominee_horiz.png
[/edit]

This entry was posted in Papervision3D. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Papervision3D Demos : Cellshading / Toonrendering and more.

1. CJ says:

You guys are one of a kind! Simply awesome!

2. Ryan Taylor says:

Wow, lookin’ great man. Very nice work!

3. JustLost says:

That is some nice work!

I love the cell outlines, using a glow effect is very smart! that’s what I use to ouline MCs at work.

How many poly’s on the horse? it renders very fast here on all of the samples!

Amazing work! Love it!

4. Paul says:

As usual, very impressive!

5. zeropaper says:

how can i say…
    at the time i begun 3d, the cellshading render quality (as plugin for 3dsmax) wasn’t as good has what you have done here…
    if only i had some time to try papervision…
    may i ask you from wich soft comes the horse model (and perhaps what kind of file you have use)?

6. Roger says:

Phong is looking gorgeous! The lighting and shading progress going on are astounding. I’m just waiting to see normal mapping, at which point i will pee myself. Awesome work Ralph, Carlos et al!

7. Dennis says:

Very very nice .. can’t wait to play with it myself. Any idea when RC2 will be released?

8. Thomas says:

Wow, the ‘toon-shader’ is very nice! I also like the phong-shader very much. Very good for low-poly models.
    A vote is on it’s way ;)

9. The horse with phong shading and texture simply looks marvelous! It’s great to see that these things are possible with Flash.

The glow filter for the outline seems a good solution to me. You should use every advantage Flash has to make it faster. These kind of tricks are the advantage you only have with Flash, so I hope you will always choose for speed rather than methodology.

10. wow this is mind boggling, every time i see your demos i am dumb struck! love the cellshading.. keep up the good work guys

11. bjoern says:

wohoooo, great. can’t wait to work with rc2 ;) awesome!!!

12. katopz says:

well well well well

RC2 = Really Cool 2!

just know,lol

13. marco says:

simply crazy!!!

14. Ypmits says:

I would love to get my hands on this stuff. Amazing!

15. Tom Lee says:

Any word on normal-mapping?

16. Would be nice to see the Frames-Per-Second and maybe the number of polygons…

(FPS can be easily added, just drop Xray onto the stage ;) )

17. steve says:

thats amazing! Can’t wait to play around with your cool new tool.

18. Danko says:

WOW!!!

I can’t wait to play with Papervision 3D either!
    (I never intended to explore 3D programming ’till now.. :-) )
    Seems it’s time to open my first 3D project ;-)
    Thank you guys!!!

19. Stephen says:

Hi!

Great demo! Can you please tell us how you did it? I can’t seem to find infos about papervision and phong shading.

Cheers,
    Stephen

20. vigo says:

Nice work. I would like to learn to do this.

21. Daniel Mihut says:

Nice work!!!thank you!!

22. Strider says:

Yeah, i agree, How did you that?, there isn’t any information about how to REALLY do it except in primitives forms…

23. Anonymous says:

Nice demos, but why does it matter if you faked the outline? It looks really nice as is…

24. emanuele says:

Great!!! you can help me, sure!. I wont to carve, in marble, The last Supper in low relief. Can you transfer it from 2d (see: http://www.altadefinizione,it) to 3D?. Please let me know, all the best, E.

25. Andrew says:

What is the poly-count of your horse?

26. Antago says:

I really like your work. The rhino looks excellent. Could you e-mail me the source files for these? I am trying to figure out also why your PV3d examples are not laggy at all, despite all the processing apparently going on.

Could you send me the rhino and/or horse examples to my e-mail? Thanks.