Papervision 3D/Flex 2 Example: Flex makes it's first PV3D steps.

I took some sparse time, and quickly hacked up some Papervision 3d / Flex 2 examples.
Carlos Ulloa, creator of the soon to be release Papervision3d 3d Engine was kind enough to point me the way to the Papervision alpha’s. If you haven’t heard about Papervision; it is the fastest 3d engine the Flash platform has seen up to now. It’s lightweight, and currently also being ported to AS3.

Today, Antonis sent an e-mail to the OSFlash / Papervision e-mail list, in which he asked if there were any examples of Flex 2 using Papervision; this triggered me to do a little bit of work of creating 2 examples of the current alpha as3 code to be used in Flex 2. Both examples are ports of the current AS2 examples Papervision is not only lightweight, it is also easy to implement.

So here you go :

Papervision3d / Flex 2 : HelloPlane Example.
Papervision3d / Flex 2 : HelloASE Example.

These examples are ugly, and don’t use all the capabilities of the engine, but as a proof of concept they show alot of potential in terms of speed and ease of implementation.
Although Papervision3d / AS2 seems to be shaping up quite well, Papervision3d / AS3 has some catching up to do, it is still alpha, let alone implementations in Flex 2. Still, these examples where fairly easy to create. Thanks to Carlos Ulloa and John Grden for the awesome work they have put in this engine.
Make sure you check papervision’s osflash page to see when it’s going in beta.

I hope to get some time somewhere in the beginning months of the next year and put some work in the OSFlash projects, most notably the FC64 SID project, and Papervision.

This entry was posted in Flex. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Papervision 3D/Flex 2 Example: Flex makes it's first PV3D steps.

1. nyls says:

hey, ff een snelle hallo.. was leuk en inspirerend gesprek met jou en guido > leerzaam .. nog druk aan het broeden, maar beslissing komt er aan …

and yes, I want to get my hands on that engine, I think there is going to be a massive outbreak of 3D stuff after that’s released ..

2. JCRobinson says:

How did you get the papervision .as to display within the Flex 2.0 app?

Everything I have made so fare runs directly from the .as files within flex. This is limiting what can be done, well to me anyway.

JC

3. Shawn Yale says:

Ralph, any chance you would consider opening the source to the Flex demo files above? Ive created a papervision3D object and added to project but Im getting nothing when the application runs.

I would love to see the implementation of the two files on this post.

Thanks,

Shawn

4. Jamison Johnson says:

Howdy all,

I found this post but the lack of source view made it virtually useless. I had the same problem as a couple of you. Every tutorial has the object extending Sprite to house the Papervision Viewport. This does not work with MXML objects because all the MXML components extend from UIComponent. UIComponent is a SUBCLASS of sprite. If a tag is added via MXML in the Application, it expects the object type to be at least UIComponent. Your loading object (say v3Dviewer) should extend UIComponent, then you can add the Viewport through addchild in v3Dviewer and include v3Dviewer in MXML objects. Found this in a very obscure post.

JJ

5. pythagoras says:

Showing demos without source doesn’t really help the community. What’s the point of this article?

“they show alot of potential in terms of speed and ease of implementation.”

… They don’t show ease of implementation.

6. Rajlaxmi says:

can i get the code for Papervision 3D/Flex 2 Example

7. Alex says:

Hey Ralph,

Could you write a simple tutorial to demostrate how to display a cube or something like that with flex. I just cant find a something simple with papervision3D.

Alex

8. Ganga says:

Your work is awesome. Please provide the source view of the examples. This will help many newbies.