These two are made some time ago, originally ment for the Dutch Flash 8 launch event presentation I got to do. I did showed both at the MXUG Flash 8 presentation.
Both coded as examples (no shiny, bling bling code, just some mashed up stuff) I figured Displacement Spheres was good enough to post the sources from(it’s not a total mess). The experiment in this one is not to see if any sphere like displacement was possible, we knew it was. The fun I had with this one was trying to create a DisplacementMap to do this in code. My first attempt was a displacement map created with get & setpixel(), which worked out kind of slow. The drawing API can approach an almost perfect form of this, so I opted for this one in the end.